Why study Business English?
First things first, Business English is good for your work. We’ve all heard this numerous times. But the devil is in the details, so why study Business English? You can communicate with overseas clients and have more efficient outcomes in any field you are working in. Apart from the ease of communication, it also gives you a better understanding of the culture of the country. This can result in a closer bond with prospective buyers, suppliers and the list goes on. After all, global organisations are choosing English as their common language and Harvard Business Review declared English as the global language of business.
How can English help me professionally?
- Many countries around the world speak English. Additionally, it is often the nominated language to use in many industries such as aviation. Therefore, learning English gives you the skills necessary to advance a career in an industry where English is a required language. Additionally, Antonella Sorace, Professor at Edinburgh University has talked about the better negotiation skills that can be developed “partly because they can see the other person’s perspective…”
- If you work in an international industry, having English language skills could benefit you. You could have the opportunity to travel or even live in different countries. It is important in many different industries such as retail, sales, administration, marketing, transportation, tourism, banking, law and many more.
- You could get ahead of other candidates when you are applying for a new job or a promotion by being proficient in English. Speaking English opens up a wide range of new opportunities both in your career and in your personal life.
- Showing you’ve learned a foreign language like English will show employers that you’re dedicated and have a work/study ethic. It also shows you are a dedicated and hard-working person. Employers look for these skills. English skills improve employee agility as Andrew Hill-Editor at the Financial Times –suggested, as “…they have more capability of dealing with multiple tasks.”
- Lastly, when you learn English at a London language school you get many chances to put your new skills into practice. You can talk with native speakers, and, perhaps you could even practise in your workplace environment.
But what about your life and daily interactions?
Developing all the necessary skills in any specific field, you are ready to apply them in the outside world and guess what? Succeed! From answering challenging interview questions to ordering at a fancy restaurant and talking over the phone with an unexpected new and promising contact.
Business English, similar to General English, focuses on the core skills in the English language. That is, Speaking, reading, writing and reading. Regardless of whether you choose Business or General English, these four core skills will develop. However, when taking a Business English course, your vocabulary and level of formality might differ. The idea that Business English is only used for work is, simply, not true. For example, how many times have you struggled to work out the meaning of that new funny advert on TV just because you did not know the specific jargon? Or, perhaps you have struggled to understand the tenancy agreement when renting a new house. Business English better equips you to manage many different situations at work and in your personal life!
Last but not least, English can help you earn more! A more efficient workforce means more financial benefits for the specific industry, so more money for you too. According to an online infographic, employees feel that improved English would allow them to earn around 5,000 more per year.
So, why study Business English? Join us at Rose of York Language school to find out more!