At Rose of York, we are always looking to work with new homestay hosts. To be a homestay host can be very rewarding as you meet individuals from all around the world. These relationships can often develop into life-long friendships. In general, we are looking for homestay hosts with a private room available for students and comfortable environments that encourages English language learning. All rooms should have a comfortable bed, sufficient storage space and adequate lighting.
Our students typically choose to stay in accommodation for roughly 3 weeks. However, the duration of accommodation can range from 1 week to 44 weeks. Majority of our students are over the age of 18. However, on occasion, we do have students under the age of 18; the minimum age for students in our accommodation is 12 years old. Please see below for the general expectations for homestay hosts.
If you are interested in working with us or require more information, please do not hesitate to contact us! You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 (0) 207 580 9888
Regarding the room
- Sufficient space and room size
- Clean and comfortable surroundings
- Comfortable bed
- Sufficient lighting (preferably natural lighting)
- Wardrobe with sufficient storage space
- A desk and chair for studying
- Waste bin
Regarding the household
- Give students free access to the bathroom in the same way as the rest of your household. Baths or showers should be available daily
- Encourage students to speak English as much as possible in the home
- Encourage students to feel at home and to treat them as full members of the household rather than paying guests
- Ensure that you do not host two students of the same native language at the same time, unless by special arrangement agreed with the students and the school
- Provide a home environment in which it is possible for students to carry out their English studies properly
Expectations for hosts
- Clean the room once a week (including a change of bedding)
- Provide clean towels
- Allow access to a washing machine at least once a week (or to do the laundry, if access to the washing machine is not permitted)
- Provide students with a balanced, varied and appropriate diet
- Ensure that an adult is available to welcome students when they first arrive and provide an orientation for the home
- Explain fire precautions and escape routes carefully, together with any special safety rules that you may have
- Provide students with their own front door key(s)
- Show due concern for the welfare, safety and security of students during their stay
- Respect students’ cultural backgrounds and to be sensitive to the particular needs of students
- Know, exemplify, encourage and respect the core British values of:
- the rule of law,
- individual liberty,
- respectful tolerance of different faiths or beliefs.
In addition to the above, all homestay hosts caring for students under 18 agree:
- Consent to having an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check carried out on your person. This includes ALL adults within the household.
- Sign a declaration stating that you and all other adults living at or regularly visiting your home do not have convictions for offences against children and are fit to be in contact with under 18s.
- Accommodate 16 and 17-year olds with students of a similar age group.
- Ensure that students under 16 will not be lodged in the same home as students aged over 18. You must not accept a booking for a student aged over 18 when caring for a student under 16.
- Be home to welcome students when they first arrive.
- Inform students in advance when you wish to clean or inspect their bedrooms.
- Provide the school with a 24-hour contact number which will be given to the student’s parent/guardian.
- Have in your possession a 24-hour contact number for the student’s next of kin and the school’s 24-hour contact number.
- Ensure that you exchange mobile telephone numbers with students under 18.
- Make sure that students under 18 inform you of their plans and what time they will be home before going out.
- Ensure that students under 18 respect the curfew as stated by Rose of York or agreed with the student and his/her parent or guardian.
- Not to allow students under 18 to smoke or drink any alcohol in your home.