What is OET?
The Occupational English Test (or OET) is an international English language test for those health professionals. The OET is relevant go those who are planning to work in the UK or in an English-speaking environment.
The test assesses the candidate’s language proficiency in all four skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking). Specifically, with an emphasis on communication in medical settings.
The OET is regulated by Cambridge English Language Assessment and Box Hill Institute. Additionally, it is recognised by regulatory healthcare bodies both in the UK and abroad. It is recognised as proof of English proficiency for visas, study abroad, education and employment in healthcare.
Why should I take the OET preparation class?
Our OET preparation classes equip you with the skills, techniques and understanding to feel confident in taking the OET. The classes are taught by experienced teachers who have a comprehensive medical background. Our teachers have been trained to deliver lessons that will enable our students to achieve the scores needed. Most importantly, this course focusses on the development of the necessary skills, functions and language required to succeed in the OET.
The course aims to:
- Develop the techniques and strategies required to complete the exam
- Strengthen, both, listening and reading skills to prepare candidates to read both short and long health-related texts. In addition to being able to understand consultations, talks and lectures on health-related topics
- Focus on the vocabulary needed to write a letter specific to the profession (referral, discharge and so on). As well as, to perform in a role play based on a typical workplace situation that is specific to the chosen profession
- Prepare candidates for the structure and demands of the OET through regular practice tests
- Evaluate progress and identify specific areas of improvement to achieve the best score possible
Our teachers follow a set syllabus and use material approved by Cambridge English Language Assessment. This material is specifically designed to prepare students for the OET test.
We include materials such as recordings and reading texts, as well as speaking cards and listening transcripts for sample tests.
As the OET assesses all four skills, students will practise listening, reading, writing and speaking on a weekly basis. Moreover, the students will learn the vocabulary and grammar structures required to communicate clearly in the writing and speaking parts of the exam.