Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
What is the CLIL Course?
CLIL stands for Content and Language Integrated Learning. Teachers use CLIL as a methodology in the classroom to introduce a second language to their students. Teachers may teach a subject such as mathematics or history in their home country but include the use of English (or a third language) in classrooms. This teacher development course gives teachers the methodology and skills to better manage a bilingual or multilingual classroom setting.
The course is for Primary, Secondary and Higher Education teachers (or prospective teachers) who have CEFR B1 (Intermediate) level of English or above and who are (or will be) required to deliver the content of their lessons in English, and not in their native language.
Our CLIL Course Option
All courses include 20 lessons per week and students can study for a minimum of one week.
Our CLIL course is a teacher development course aimed at clarifying the concepts of CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning). This type of education allows teachers to help students learn both the subject content e.g. History, Geography or Science, and English at the same time, providing opportunities for a full-immersion language learning experience.
Teachers on this course will be discussing and exploring a variety of teaching practices and methodologies. The sessions will cover subjects such as the following:
- Teaching the functional and core language necessary for the subject content
- developing students’ speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- developing students’ pronunciation
- using a task-based learning approach to develop students’ productive skills
- developing awareness of and responding to different learning styles
Our CLIL course focusses on specific areas of language and instruction.
During the course, the teachers will have opportunities to:
- watch demonstrations of lessons using CLIL methodology
- evaluate published material and resources in order to adapt and exploit the material in the context of CLIL
- take part in tailored-made lessons on language improvement
- design and deliver sample CLIL lessons to tutors/peers in order to put theory into practice