What is SELT?
The Secure English Language Test (SELT) is an English language test which assesses English language proficiency in listening, reading, writing and speaking. We offer focus on ISE and GESE.
SELT is required by those non-EEA citizens who are in the UK and need to apply to UKVI for settlement, British citizenship (naturalisation), indefinite leave to remain, and further leave to remain.
Why should I take the SELT preparation class?
Our SELT preparation classes equip students with the skills, techniques and understanding to feel confident in taking the SELT. Firstly, our experienced teachers are all trained to deliver lessons that will enable our students to achieve the scores needed. Secondly, and most importantly, we have designed this course to focus on the development of the necessary skills, functions and language required to succeed in the SELT.
There are two types of Trinity exams that can be taken for UKVI purposes:
- GESE (Graded Examinations in Spoken English) for settlement, British citizenship (naturalisation), indefinite and further leave to remain: This test assesses the candidate’s speaking and listening skills and requires a CEFR* level ranging from A1 to B1.
- ISE(Integrated Skills in English) for Tier 1, 2 and 4 Visas:This test assesses the candidate’s reading, writing, speaking and listening skills and requires a CEFR* level ranging from B1 to C1.
*CEFR= Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
For a breakdown of VISAs and matching examinations, please see the Trinity College website.
Rose of York can provide both GESE and ISE courses which will prepare a student for the SELT. Most importantly, Rose of York is a listed preparation course provider for Trinity’s UKVI approved tests. We can, therefore, offer SELT preparation courses and better enable students to take the SELT needed for their UKVI applications.
However, we are not a SELT registered exam centre. Therefore, students who would like to take the SELT will have to book it in one of the 10 approved test centres in the UK.
The course aims to:
- Develop the techniques and strategies required to complete the exam;
- Strengthen dialogue techniques by focussing on the expressions needed to communicate effectively, respond appropriately to interaction, initiate and maintain interaction in the speaking test;
- Perform in role plays similar to those presented in the SELT;
- Use a range of vocabulary and language functions accurately;
- Enable students to read and understand articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems;
- Present ideas clearly and write appropriately, using beginnings and endings and using paragraphs;
- Prepare candidates for the structure and demands of the SELT through regular practice tests;
- Evaluate progress and identify specific areas of improvement to achieve the best score possible.
Our teachers follow a set syllabus and use material approved by Trinity College London. Therefore, this material is specifically designed to prepare students for the SELT.
We include materials such as recordings and reading texts to improve our students’ vocabulary. Additionally, students will paticipate in activities to practice the language functions needed in each specific exam.
Students will practise different skills according to the type of SELT needed, GESE or ISE. In general, GESE focusses on testing speaking and listening skills, whereas ISE tests all four skills (Reading, writing, speaking and listening).