Visa Information


  • Info

    If you are a visa national or a non-visa national, you will need a visa to study in the UK.

    If you want to study for fewer than 6 months you can apply for a Short Term Study Visa (6 months).

    Non-visa nationals can get this visa at the airport when entering the country.

    Visa nationals need to apply for this visa before they travel.

    If you want to study for longer than 6 months, you can apply for the Short Term Study Visa (up to 11 months).

    You must apply for this visa in your country – you cannot get this type of visa at the airport when entering the UK.

  • Requirements

    You must be over 18, (if you are under 18 you can only apply for a Child Visitor Visa).

    You must be enrolled at a language school, which either:
    has a Tier 4 Sponsor’s Licence


    is accredited by an organisation which is approved by the UK Border Agency (Rose of York is accredited by the British Council).

    You do not need a minimum level of English to apply for this visa.

    You must show proof that you are a genuine student and that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of your course.

    For London, this is calculated at around £1,020 per each month of your stay.

    To prove you have enough money you will need to show:

    • Bank statements for several months with evidence of enough savings to support yourself during your studies.
    • You also need to show evidence that you have the intention of returning to your country once you have completed your course. This could include:

    Evidence of travel plans (a return plane ticket)

    A letter or contract from your employer showing that you have a job to go back to (or evidence that you are self-employed) or a letter from your university or other course provider if you are a student.

    Evidence that you own property in your country.

  • Restrictions

    • You can study for up to 6 months or up to 11 months if your visa is a Short Term Student Visa.
    • You can’t extend any of those visas in the UK. You must return to your country once your visa expires.
    • You cannot work.
    • You cannot attend a government-funded school.
    • You cannot do a work placement or internship (paid or unpaid).
    • You cannot do any kind of business in the UK (e.g. buying, selling or providing goods or services).
  • How to apply

    If you are from a non-visa national country you can show the immigration officer, on arrival in the UK, the documents required to support your application and get a Short Term Student Visa at the airport.

    If you come from a visa national country, you will need to apply before leaving your country.

    Click here to apply online. UK Visa

    If you are not sure whether you are from a visa national country, please click here to check. UK Visa

  • Documents required

    • Letter from the school confirming that you have enrolled and paid for the course.
    • Evidence of previous qualifications.
    • Evidence of any previous English studies is applicable.
    • Evidence of the reason you have now decided to study English.
    • If required by your employer, you will also need a letter from your employer explaining this need.
    • Your bank statement or that of your parents if they are supporting you.
    • Evidence of your relation with the person supporting you (your birth certificate and a copy of the passport of the person supporting you).
    • Evidence of your current employment status or that of the person supporting you (contract, letter from employer, etc.)
    • A letter written and signed by the person supporting stating that they are doing so.
    • Evidence that you will return home at the end of your course: return tickets, letter from your employer or course provider if you are a student.

    We will request to see a copy of all these documents before we issue a visa letter as we need to assess the suitability of all students.

    If you are still not sure, please call us or email us and we will be happy to help you.