Your level of English
Your English Level
When you start a course at Rose of York, you will have a placement test. This test includes grammar, vocabulary, writing and speaking. We will test your English level using the results from this test and put you in the correct class.
You will take a test every five weeks. We do this so we can see your progress and English level. If you improve enough by the end of the term, you can move up a level. You must score 80%, or more, on the test to move levels. Many of our students progress well during their time at Rose of York.
At Rose of York, we follow the Common European Framework of Reference for English language levels (CEFR A1-C2). You can check your current level by looking at the tables below.
What do these levels mean?
You can check your current level by looking at the ‘Can Do’ CEFR table below:
CEFR A1 (Elementary)
- understand and use familiar everyday expressions. Also, very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details. For example, where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- interact in a simple way. However, provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
CEFR A2 (Pre-Intermediate)
- understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance. For example, very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment.
- communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information.
CEFR B1 (Intermediate)
- understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar, or, of personal interest.
- describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions. Additionally, briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
CEFR B2 (Upper-Intermediate)
- understand the main ideas of complex text. Including, both, concrete and abstract topics.
- interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity with native speakers.
- produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects.
CEFR C1 (Advanced)
- understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts. Similarly, recognise the implicit meaning.
- express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
CEFR C2 (Proficiency)
- understand, with ease, virtually everything heard or read.
- summarise information from different spoken and written sources. Similarly, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely. Also, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in more complex situations.
How long will it take?
You can see how long it may take you to get to the English level you need:
Your level now Approx Study time Your new level Cambridge Exam level /IELTS Score Elementary A1 Study 15-20 weeks Pre Intermediate A2 KET IELTS 2.5-3.5 Pre-Intermediate A2 Study 15-20 weeks Intermediate B1 PET IELTS 4.0 – 5.0 Intermediate B1 Study 15-20 weeks Upper Intermediate B2 FCE IELTS 5.5 – 6.5 Upper Intermediate B2 Study 20 weeks Advanced C1 CAE IELTS 7.0 – 8.0 Advanced C1 Study 20 weeks Proficiency C2 CPE IELTS 8.5 – 9.0
Depending on your needs, we encourage students to have a goal. Having a goal will help you to focus on what you want to achieve. For example, students who want to go to university need to take the IELTS exam and get a certain score. In the past, students studying at Rose of York for the Academic IELTS exam achieved the following results:
IELTS SCORE BAND TOTAL % OF STUDENTS 7-7.5 27% 6-6.5 64% 5-5.5 1%
If students have a goal, for example, if students want to improve their listening or conversation, we can help you get there. With specific goals, our teachers can suggest extra tasks or ideas to help you focus.
If you would like to know your English level, take a test, now. Once completed, one of our teachers can mark it and reply to you with your perceived level.
If you have any questions, at all, please do not hesitate to contact us!